UNESCO Chair on Geoenvironmental Disaster Reduction
The establishment of the Chair
In the beginning of 2018, an agreement was signed by the Director-General of UNESCO and the President of the Shimane University, Japan, concerning the establishment of a UNESCO Chair at Shimane University.
- Project title: Geoenvironmental Disaster Reduction
- Starting date: 1st April 2018 (Start of the Academic Year)
- Duration: 4 years, renewable
- Disciplines concerned: Earth sciences, engineering geology, environmental science, hydrogeology, geohazards, risk reduction
- Name and full address of host institutions: Shimane University (SMU), Japan
The mission of the Chair is to promote education and research (E&R) for the reduction of geoenvironmental disasters, in order to improve the relationship between environment and society. The specific objectives of the Chair are:
- to promote the development of innovative technologies for the prevention and mitigation of geoenvironmental disasters;
- to develop tools and procedures for supporting risk reduction policies and emergency management for the safety of the human life;
- to promote the protection of cultural heritage and Geoparks threatened by geoenvironmental hazards;
- to promote research at international level by offering scientific facilities to post-graduate students and visiting researchers.